Soul Throw
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
May 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search

MTG Challenge

+2
KENDARRR
Trollestia
6 posters

Go down

MTG Challenge Empty MTG Challenge

Post by Trollestia Thu May 23, 2013 12:02 am

So my brother, a friend of mine, and I have come up with an MTG challenge for those who want to participate.

The first part of the challenge is to pick one of the Ravnica guilds. Preferably a guild that isn't already taken, but you can choose a taken guild if you want. The goal is to make a deck utilizing the guildmage, guild champion, and guild master (For example, my guild is Orzhov, so I would have to make a deck using Vizkopa Guildmage, Obzedat, Ghost Council, and Teysa, Envoy of Ghosts).

The guilds that have already been chosen are:
Orzhov
Simic
Selesnya
Izzet
Dimir

The other part of the challenge is to make five mono-colored theme decks, one of each color, and the theme cannot be one somebody else has chosen. For example, a theme deck I'm currently making is a white Lifegain deck. The goal of the deck is to win by gaining enough life to win with Felidar Sovereign.

The themes that have already been chosen are:
White
Lifegain (Felidar Sovereign)
First Strike
Soldier Spam

Blue
Mill (Discarding opponent's library)
Drake Spam
Merfolk

Black
Vampire Theme
Undead (Zombie)
Discard Control

Red
Dragon Spam
Instant Damage
Land Control

Green
Elf Spam
Soulbond
Primal Surge

This is mostly just for fun, and we can arrange times to get together and pit our decks against one-another. This isn't some kind of official MTG league or group or anything, just a fun way to expand our deckbuilding skills and try out strategies we may not have thought of otherwise.

While you have to have a preliminary deck to claim the theme you want, you are welcome to create deck blueprints for the deck you would eventually like to make. For example, I have claimed Elf Spam, but my deck simply contains almost all of the elves I own. It's not very good at spamming elves but it has the basis of the theme for the deck I will eventually build. If you want to create a Goblin Spam deck but you don't have any of the good Goblin spam cards, you can still make a deck with goblins and then claim Goblin Spam.

There are no deadlines or rankings or anything with this. Simply say you'd like to participate, lay claim to the themes and guild you want (you don't even have to pick all at once, you can simply pick, for example, a white Spirit Spam deck and that's all you choose), and go from there. Nobody will harass you to get your deck finished, although it would be nice if you decide to not participate in the challenge after joining to inform somebody of your intention to drop out to free up a slot for somebody else.

The only rules for deck building is that you must follow the basic deckbuilding rules: No fewer than 60 cards in a deck, and no more than four of a kind of card except Basic Lands and Snow-covered Lands.

I'd again like to stress that this is completely optional and is a no-stress, fun activity for forum members to participate in. Do not bother other members into dropping themes you want, pressure people into finishing decks when they don't want to work on them, or otherwise make this seem more like a job than like a hobby.

Feel free to start laying claim, and best of luck to you in your endeavors!

Last edited by Trollestia on Thu May 23, 2013 10:51 pm; edited 5 times in total
Trollestia
Trollestia
God

https://soulthrow.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

MTG Challenge Empty Re: MTG Challenge

Post by KENDARRR Thu May 23, 2013 12:17 am

I don't have any cards.
KENDARRR
KENDARRR

Back to top Go down

Post by Trollestia Thu May 23, 2013 12:19 am

Den get sum. Or don't. I'm just an admin, not a cop.
Trollestia
Trollestia
God

Back to top Go down

Post by ToonStink Thu May 23, 2013 12:20 am

You better listen to him he is God. There will be no salvation for you if you don't.
ToonStink
ToonStink
Duane

Back to top Go down

Post by Pyro858 Thu May 23, 2013 12:39 am

I am claiming Selsyna guild, with the goal of winning by token spam, utilizing Emmara, Trostani, and the Vitu-Ghazi Guildmage. And I assume I am the the mill deck you pointed out earlier, planning to win by... Well yeah mill.

Pyro858

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam88 Thu May 23, 2013 12:57 am

I have revamped my Dimir deck and would like to make a blue drake deck as my mono-colored.

Sam88

Back to top Go down

Post by ToonStink Thu May 23, 2013 1:02 am

I would if I had cards!
ToonStink
ToonStink
Duane

Back to top Go down

Post by Trollestia Thu May 23, 2013 1:13 am

Pyro858 wrote:I am claiming Selsyna guild, with the goal of winning by token spam, utilizing Emmara, Trostani, and the Vitu-Ghazi Guildmage. And I assume I am the the mill deck you pointed out earlier, planning to win by... Well yeah mill.
No, I am the mill deck ya dummy.
Trollestia
Trollestia
God

Back to top Go down

Post by Pyro858 Thu May 23, 2013 1:20 am

Gotcha, understand the rules now. Here is my updated plan

Guild- selsyna, same as above.
Black- creature return, mostly zombies.
Green- soul bond solid creatures ,1 enchantment.
Blue- yeah I'll have to argue this one out.
White- enchantments and first strike.
Red- blended with blue, but it is a instant damage deck with lots of copy abilities.

Pyro858

Back to top Go down

Post by The Candyman Thu May 23, 2013 10:33 pm

So here's my rundown:
-Simic with massive creatures featuring win-combo with Biovisonary and Infinite reflection.
-Black is an un-handing deck with control enchantments, since Pyro stole the idea for the deck I LITERALLY MADE LAST NIGHT.
-Blue is a Stormtide Leviathan control deck similar to my black one.
-Green is a permanent only with Primal Surge to make sissies give up. I may change it to a Roaring Primadox deck if I get some Stingerfling Spiders.
-Red is the land destroying goblin-spam you know and love.
-White is soldier-spam, using Odric, Master Tactician for petty much instant victory.
Btw Pyro, tell me if you change your black deck, the one I made kinda sucks, has nothing greater than silver rarity.

Last edited by The Candyman on Thu May 23, 2013 11:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
The Candyman
The Candyman

Back to top Go down

Post by Trollestia Thu May 23, 2013 10:52 pm

Alrighty, everything's updated.
Trollestia
Trollestia
God

Back to top Go down

Post by Trollestia Thu May 23, 2013 10:57 pm

Also, I'm surprised nobody has chosen Blue or White Spirit Theme/Spirit Spam.
Trollestia
Trollestia
God

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down